Welcome to Year 6
Miss Murphy / Mr Houghton/Mrs Peters
In Year 6 we love working together to build on our learning. We have so much fun learning lots of different things. We focus on our Times Tables, Mental Maths, Maths and English in the morning and then we enjoy expanding our knowledge of so many other different subjects in the afternoon, such as:
- P.E. – On a Friday afternoon. (Appropriate PE clothing and footwear required)
In Maths we follow ‘Maths No Problem!’ We work during each lesson in a structured way to help us deepen our thinking. Our lessons look like this:
- Exploration –instead of ‘Let me teach you…’ as a starting point, we are encouraged to explore a problem ourselves to see what we already know.
- Structured discussion – we then have a discussion to organise the findings of the exploration, compare strategies and are then guided towards the most efficient strategy (or the one being learnt that day).
- Questions to challenge thinking – we question each other frequently throughout the lesson; this helps us to be independent learners and deepen our understanding. A variety of questions are used, such as: How do you know? Can you prove it? Are you sure? Is that right? What’s the same/different about? Can you explain that? What does your partner think? Can you imagine?
- Discussion and feedback– we have opportunities to talk to our partners and explain/clarify our thinking throughout the lesson.
- Independent work – we then have the opportunity to practise the skills learned in the lesson. This secures our understanding and gives us the opportunity to ‘show off’ what we have learned that lesson.
In English we use ‘Literacy and Language’ We work during each lesson understanding various texts within the genre we are studying. The outcome being us writing our own piece of writing (fiction and non-fiction) in the style of the genre we have learned about.
By the end of Year 6, your child should be able to spell all of the following words. Please take 4 or 5 at a time.
Reading – At least four times a week please. Please make sure you keep your reading record up to date by recording your independent reading/reading to an adult in here.
Spellings – Your child will have a spelling test on a Friday (individual spellings).
Maths – Homework will be given out on a Wednesday to be handed in by the following Wednesday. Also, please keep practising your times tables!
Please see attached document which gives you an overview of what we will be learning during the Autumn term:
Celebrating Our Achievements
Every week we love to celebrate all the incredible things we have done. We look for people in our class who have shown our school values, had a fantastic attitude towards their learning and shown a super effort throughout the week. Join us on a Friday afternoon for our Celebration Assembly so we can share all of our achievements with you too.
Moving on to High School
Please see the attached poster about moving on to High School. If you would like your child referred to this programme, please let me know as soon as possible.